Sunday, December 27, 2009

Waffle Maker!

I got a waffle maker for Christmas, and I didn't even know I wanted one! But so far, I am loving it. We had the standard waffles yesterday, and today I tried out the whole grain version. Super simple, and the nonstick waffle iron doesn't really need much cleaning.


Whole Grain Banana Waffles with Blackberry Syrup


1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup oats
2 tsp baking powder
1 1/4 cups milk
1 egg
1 mashed banana


Then, I threw some leftover blackberries from the refrigerator into the blender with a couple tablespoons of maple syrup. The waffles were delicious, but I did have to add some butter. I would normally opt not to do the butter on top, but these waffles tasted a bit too healthy. I forgot to add the baking powder- I wonder if that had anything to do with it?


I think tomorrow I'll try the same waffles with peanut butter spread on top- as a substitute for my usual toast-with-peanut-butter breakfast.
I've got to send out a big Thanks for the shout-out from Kelly's Grateful Apron!

2 comments:

  1. Can't wait to sample your waffles!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Portland is all about waffles apparently. There are even waffle carts where you can get waffle sandwiches. I had a fancy waffle once that had sweet curry and asparagus on it w/ raisins. The possibilities are limitless!

    ReplyDelete